Thursday, January 23, 2014

Sir Coughsalot goes to the doctor

How many teeth does this happy (dirty) boy have? 

So, our Pipsqueak hasn't been to a doctor much in the last year, since I haven't been bringing him in for his immunization shots.  At 16 weeks old Daniel went to Dr. Dickson where it was determined that he didn't have (even a mild case of) laryngomalcia.  I didn't how realize how thankful I was for that until, after I got home and was looking it up some more, I watched this video!  He had one final checkup with Dr. Ng at some point, when she said his heart murmur was definitely clear enough and not a concern.  Around 4 months old he mostly outgrew his squeak ... perhaps because that's when he hit 12 month size and weight.  The squeak has only been occasional since then, mostly when he gets a bit excited over something (presumably, some muscles are tensing and abnormally constricting the airway somewhat -- uneducated mother's opinion there).

See those two molars hiding out back there?

His new nickname is Sir Coughsalot.  I brought him to a doctor in the fall, but he said his lungs sounded fine, no cause for alarm.  I am accustomed to Daniel having noisy breathing/unusual coughing and didn't think much of it for a long while, but since it hasn't fully gone away in the last five months I finally decided it really ought to be looked at again.  Not that he's coughed non-stop all winter, but every cold that anybody gets, he'll start coughing and keep it up for several weeks, finally recovering about a week before the next bout of coughing starts.  There will be a couple of nights each round where he'll wake up with a coughing fit at least once in the night, and will need to be soothed back to sleep (snuggling works wonders with relaxing his breathing!).  Several times now he's coughed so hard he's thrown up.

So I brought him to a walk-in clinic on Monday.  The doctor again said his lungs sounded fine, no cause for alarm, but when she heard the back story and heard his "purring" she sent him in for a chest x-ray and arranged an appointment with a pediatrician, which was today.

Thankfully there are two more up top to provide some grinding action!

The conclusion of the matter: I can't remember the wording, but it was something to the effect of bronchitis tending to pneumonia, presumably triggered by mild asthma.  Possibly the allergies contributing to the mix, too.  So now he's on a round of antibiotics and two different puffers, and hopefully he'll outgrow his newest nickname soon! ... until next winter, at least ;-)

PS He's 27 lbs

No comments:

Post a Comment