Thursday, June 14, 2012

T minus 2 weeks

Well, time keeps ticking along around here, and Quartus is now due in two weeks (or is that two weeks tomorrow?  I should really pay more attention when the doctor says what my due date is).  Anyway, we're officially getting close.  Close enough that Jeff's sleep is being disturbed by nightmares about (not) getting me to the hospital on time.  Close enough that I'm feeling like we really Ought to have chosen a name by now.  Close enough that I'm beginning to think this big belly is getting uncomfortable.  (I've gained a good 5 pounds since my last pregnancy update, bringing the total gain up to 37 pounds.)  Close enough that choosing clothes in the morning is determined much more by how comfortable it is than how good it looks. You know, all those normal things that always happen in the last two weeks or so ... for us, at least :)

Snuggles with Daddy this morning
The most common question people ask me now is, "Are you ready?"  To which I always think, "What is THAT supposed to mean?!"

If that means "Are your other children properly potty trained, obedience trained, and able to handle all the necessary interruptions in your mothering that a very needy newborn will bring," then, No.  ROFLOL, No!!! (ROFLOL is internet lingo for Rolling On Floor Laughing Out Loud).

If it means "Is your nursery properly decorated?" then again, No.  I'll set up our portable crib when he comes home, and call it good.  I'm on the lookout for a cheap, nice bunk bed to add to the kids room, but until then, we can make do with what we have.

If it means "Is your house sparkling clean, with six weeks worth of delicious and nutritious meals in your freezer?" then, uhh, nope!  Sorry, I'm not supermom, organizedmom, or even ambitiousmom.  Something always works out if I procrastinate long enough =P

If it means "Are you prepared for taking on the responsibility of raising and training another human soul?" then obviously, No.  How can I ever feel or declare that I'm 'ready' for something like that?

But if it means "Will you accept the baby when he comes?" then Yes.  Gladly.  Come now, what choice do I have? 

Besides, they turn out so cute ... :)





2 comments:

  1. I'm so excited! I'm feeling like I've been neglecting all the good friend things I should be doing, like stocking your freezer and coming over and cleaning your house. :) Instead I'm just sitting here and dreaming about meeting the new little guy and getting to SMELL HIS HEAD. Can't wait for it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having other people excited with me :) And please, do come smell his head at the first opportunity!

      Delete